Sunday, March 7, 2010

IWD Greetings

Thinking about all my good friends & comrades on IWD. I missed Saturday's rally in Toronto and marching through the streets. I understood that it included a very satisfactory demo in support of INCO workers.
The day is causing these more immediate musings....
While I think the Tories were idiots for they way they proposed changing "Oh Canada" and their proposed change was ridiculous, the resulting backlash has certainly reminded me that all is not well. I've been reading the Calgary Herald, where there's been intense outrage against the very SUGGESTION that there are gender inequalities, against the notion of gender itself, and the derision (not to mention misunderstanding) of languages that have few gender signposts, trumped by the constant assertion that language means nothing ("sons" = all the country's people).
A brutal kind of violence is closer than I usually experience it - this morning we heard that a friend of a friend is terrified and is taking out restraining orders against the father of her kid. I know that women on Hornby are gathering for IWD particularly in this difficult year when one of the Island's lovely young women was killed and I want to pass on solidarity.
Today's Sunday Review on CBC reminded us of the cross country 1970 Abortion Caravan, and that the Voice of Women's fight against nuclear arms began 50 years ago. I'm reminded that the CBC continues to be a crucial connection across the country, eg. for women in communities where the local IWD events are business networking opportunities.
I am going to miss the IWD gathering of good friends that has happened at Garden Avenue for years now. And we are taking the tradition with us - several women are joining us for a pot luck gathering tomorrow evening here in Calgary. We will be toasting you all, and hugging you at a distance. Even longer arm hugs for those of you in other countries.

In Solidarity
- Alice, with additional hugs from Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment